Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: I never knew how many eyes Spiders have

I never knew how many eyes Spiders have 8 years 4 months ago #1

• Kelowna Artist
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 1
Sorry, it isn't my best pic. This spider was in my bathtub, and not the easiest to photograph.

When zooming in I was amazed to see not 2 eyes, but 6 eyes. Here's the crop.

While googling up "how many eyes does a spider have" I discovered that most spiders have 8 eyes. So, there's a chance that if I was lower I'd have photographed 2 more.

Just a quick edit. Although I can't say for certain while zooming in more and more it looks like there may be another set of eyes between the rear eyes and the next visible set.
There was just too much fur blocking them to actually see them.... it sorta looks like heavy eye brows in those locations.
The spider decided to take a swim, so I don't have another chance to photograph him ;)
A photograph can be a Beautiful thing.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

I never knew how many eyes Spiders have 8 years 4 months ago #2

• Friendly Photon
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 56
  • Honor Medal
That's one sweet-looking spider! None of the spiders around here have fur like that. So I'm guessing it's not a function of staying warm. I think you're right about those nearly-hidden eyes. I wish I had 8 eyes...

He decided to take a swim? Or someone decided for him? >:) )

I have this thing about spiders, I try not to kill them. I just set them gently outside if they're in my way. They're far too fascinating to kill, and they kill all the other bugs. (I have no qualms about squishing every other bug in sight)
Photons are your friends! :-)

I never knew how many eyes Spiders have 8 years 4 months ago #3

• Kelowna Artist
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 1
I'll admit it, I helped him swim :(
If spiders stay in the basement, or hidden in the closet they're safe with me. So that includes most of those poisionus black ones, which kill 90% of all the insects around here. However I don't like them in the main part of the house >:| |

I was wondering about their eyes. Do they all work together like ours, giving a spider a real panoramic view.... or do they all work seperatly.
if they work together I think that it'd be a cool feature, however if they work seperatly I think that it'd give us a headache pretty quickly.
A photograph can be a Beautiful thing.

I never knew how many eyes Spiders have 8 years 4 months ago #4

• Friendly Photon
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 56
  • Honor Medal
If they worked independently, our brain would be wired to accommodate and we wouldn't get a headache :D

My side door is a main hangout of spiders at night, and I routinely walk through their webs without meaning to since we use that as our main entrance/exit. I usually utter a yell of disgust when I do, followed by a vigorous dry-washing of my upper body to make sure no spiders fell on me.

Imagine having such a wide panoramic view of everything. All of a sudden, a 16:9 TV wouldn't seem quite so "widescreen" anymore. We'd be using 32:9 cylindrical TVs :lol:
Photons are your friends! :-)

Re: I never knew how many eyes Spiders have 8 years 4 months ago #5

• Leighgion
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 29
  • Honor Medal
Two eyes isn't enough to project all that arthropod malice. :D Step sideways over to the insect kingdom though. Those "two" eyes you see on flies, bees and the like? Merely two clusters of compounds made up of scads of tiny, fully functional individual eyes.

Reasons why spiders are always showing up in the tub or sink is that they need water just like every other living thing, and they're drawn to the bit of it that pools around the drain. Just a few drops is a good drink for a creature that size. Problem is, they get trapped because the sides of your average tub or sink don't offer enough texture for spider-footing.
Time to create page: 0.227 seconds