Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: My try with macro filters

My try with macro filters 8 years 7 months ago #1

So I jumped on the wagon, bought these filters and then waited for the new camera and lenses to arrive......and waited, and waited, and waited. Of COURSE it all showed up on Friday evening, the night before my workshop and I didn't have any time to play around. So this morning I went out and played. Definitely I need to play more, but here's my first try. These were taken with my d700, 50mm 1.4 and a +4 filter. The filter set was about $25 from Adorama.

~Katie
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: My try with macro filters 8 years 7 months ago #2

• Damn Brit
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 1
Macro is fun? Did you see the article I wrote about using extension tubes?

Those adapters are a good cheap way to get into close up photography to see if you like it. If you get the bug, I guarantee you'll be looking for better quality options like a dedicated macro lens.
Mr Pink uses a magnifying adapter that Sony makes and there are also two made by Raynox (DCR150 -1.5x mag and DCR250 - 2.5x), they cost about twice as much as your set but people rave about the quality and they fit lenses from 52 - 67 mm filter size.

Great job of capturing the texture of the water droplets in the last one and it has a nice background as well.
What aperture were you using for these shots?

I'm moving this to the Macro section.

Don't worry Katie, you'll get used to seeing me move threads, I'm OCD about keeping the forum tidy. :)

Re: My try with macro filters 8 years 7 months ago #3

• Mr Pink
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 11
Hi Katie, I love the effect on the first one... real delicate. And that is sometimes hard to achieve with macro.

As DB mentioned, I use a Raynox 250 for the real close stuff and a Sony m3358 for less magnification... I got some decent wildflower shots on our point reyes shoot posted in my flora and fauna thread. Both are very nice pieces of glass.

<!-- l <a class="postlink-local" href="friendlyphotozone.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=67">viewtopic.php?f=21&t=67<!-- l

Re: My try with macro filters 8 years 7 months ago #4

• Friendly Photon
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 56
  • Honor Medal
Those look great, I love the super-narrow depth of field that's achieveable when taking pictures so close.

I seriously regret selling my old Prinz close-up filter set. The optical quality was top-notch, better than any other close-up filters I've ever seen. But they were 49mm thread, and the only lens I have with a 49mm thread is a 35-70mm macro (thereby eliminating the need for close-up filters). I included the filter set when I sold my old Super-Takumar 50mm F1.4. Together, that combination allowed me to take some incredible close-up shots, like 3" or less from the subject.

I miss my Super Takumar :(
Photons are your friends! :-)

Re: My try with macro filters 8 years 7 months ago #5

• mikeSF
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 49
  • Honor Medal
GREAT job, Katie! I especially love that first one; the yellow tones and shallow DOF are wonderful. I do not have any proper macro rig yet, just using extension tubes or reversal ring so far, BUT as i settle into the type of pics i like to take most, i have a hunch i will buy something to feed my LBA.
nice work.

Re: My try with macro filters 8 years 7 months ago #6

I got these to get closer to the rings in the weddings I shoot. Since I just got my new camera and gear on Friday I had little time to figure everything out. Switching from Canon to Nikon is HUGE........EEEEEK! :) Anyway I've been told that with manual focus you get much better results. I couldn't figure out this morning how to switch it so my lens was manual. I'm using a 50mm 1.4D on a d700 body. Of course I figured it out AFTER I was done with the images, so I'm sure I'll be back out again to play. The settings for these images were

f 3.5
ISO 400
Shutter Speed 125

Shot with a +4 filter on the 50mm
~Katie

Re: My try with macro filters 8 years 7 months ago #7

• Damn Brit
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 1
AmandaKPhoto wrote:
The settings for these images were

f 3.5
ISO 400
Shutter Speed 125

Shot with a +4 filter on the 50mm

The closer you get, the shallower the DOF gets (and that's really shallow for macro) so you should remember to stop down the aperture as much as you can. For a true macro lens, even at f/16 there's hardly any DOF at the minimum focusing distance.

I forgot to say, "Congrats on the new kit". :)
Time to create page: 0.230 seconds