Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Eight-legged l'il fellas...

Eight-legged l'il fellas... 8 years 1 week ago #1

  • lostminstrel
  • lostminstrel's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Founding Member
  • Posts: 909
  • Thank Yous Received 6
  • Points: 71
I'm fudging the term "macro" a little bit - I'd say a couple of these are "close-ups" - but they were taken with a Vivitar 100mm macro lens! :D

Daddy-longlegs, aka "skull spider"



flower spider


The democratization of information will leave us all misinformed, equally.

Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened. - Dr. Seuss
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Eight-legged l'il fellas... 8 years 1 week ago #2

  • Pablo
  • Pablo's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Founding Member
  • Posts: 793
  • Thank Yous Received 23
  • Points: 1168
  • Honor Medal
no.2 is very cool
can you explain how did you take these?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Eight-legged l'il fellas... 8 years 1 week ago #3

  • blackcloudbrew
  • blackcloudbrew's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Founding Member
  • Posts: 3058
  • Thank Yous Received 86
  • Points: 3212
  • Honor Medal
The book I've read on this says that unless you are 1:1 or bigger, it's really close focusing not macro shooting. For me when you say macro, it's all of this type of photography. The first two images are quite interesting. Do you know what kind of spider that is?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Eight-legged l'il fellas... 8 years 1 week ago #4

  • lostminstrel
  • lostminstrel's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Founding Member
  • Posts: 909
  • Thank Yous Received 6
  • Points: 71
Pablo wrote:
no.2 is very cool
can you explain how did you take these?

Hi Pablo, I was in my neighbor's basement office upgrading her computer, when I noticed a few of these spiders - "daddy longlegs" - hanging out. So I got my camera and Vivitar 100mm macro lens - it's actually a 2:1 lens, only a true 1:1 macro with the included adapter - and took a few snaps. Due to the close-focusing ability of the lens and the fact that the spider was about 15cm from the wall, I was able to obtain a highly blurred background.

The Vivitar lens is manual focus, and really sharp.
blackcloudbrew wrote:
The book I've read on this says that unless you are 1:1 or bigger, it's really close focusing not macro shooting. For me when you say macro, it's all of this type of photography. The first two images are quite interesting. Do you know what kind of spider that is?

I like photographing spiders - I, too find them interesting, even if after spending a while amongst them I get a little creeped out. :meh: I know the spider in the 1st 2 photos as "daddy longlegs", "skull spider", "cellar spider". Not dangerous to humans. :happy:
The democratization of information will leave us all misinformed, equally.

Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened. - Dr. Seuss
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Eight-legged l'il fellas... 8 years 1 week ago #5

  • Friendly Photon
  • Friendly Photon's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Founding Member
  • Posts: 2801
  • Thank Yous Received 56
  • Points: 1751
  • Honor Medal
lostminstrel wrote:
I know the spider in the 1st 2 photos as "daddy longlegs", "skull spider", "cellar spider". Not dangerous to humans. :happy:
Unless that picture is really "actual size", then I think it's dangerous to everyone.

Funny, I think we have a spider here that we call a daddy long legs which looks nothing like that one.
Photons are your friends! :-)
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Eight-legged l'il fellas... 8 years 1 week ago #6

  • lostminstrel
  • lostminstrel's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Founding Member
  • Posts: 909
  • Thank Yous Received 6
  • Points: 71
Friendly Photon wrote:
Unless that picture is really "actual size", then I think it's dangerous to everyone.

Funny, I think we have a spider here that we call a daddy long legs which looks nothing like that one.

Yeah, I've seen other long-legged spiders referred to as "daddy long legs".

The one in the pic is about 3" in diameter.
The democratization of information will leave us all misinformed, equally.

Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened. - Dr. Seuss
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Eight-legged l'il fellas... 8 years 1 week ago #7

  • J.Scott
  • J.Scott's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Founding Member
  • Posts: 1799
  • Thank Yous Received 39
  • Points: 2298
  • Honor Medal
What we refer to as 'Daddy Longlegs' are actually 'Harvestman' insects; which are not spiders.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Eight-legged l'il fellas... 8 years 1 week ago #8

  • Leighgion
  • Leighgion's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Founding Member
  • Posts: 962
  • Thank Yous Received 29
  • Points: 1191
  • Honor Medal
J.Scott wrote:
What we refer to as 'Daddy Longlegs' are actually 'Harvestman' insects; which are not spiders.

Actually, the name "daddy longlegs," can refer to three completely different critters, two of which are spiders and one of which is not.

The particular ones in this thread are arachnids, not insects. Notice the eight legs.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Eight-legged l'il fellas... 8 years 1 week ago #9

  • J.Scott
  • J.Scott's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Founding Member
  • Posts: 1799
  • Thank Yous Received 39
  • Points: 2298
  • Honor Medal
Leighgion wrote:

Actually, the name "daddy longlegs," can refer to three completely different critters, two of which are spiders and one of which is not.

The particular ones in this thread are arachnids, not insects. Notice the eight legs.

Thanks.
My reply was in reply to FP's comment.
I wasn't disputing the OP's entomological knowledge. :)
Eight legs and 2 separate body components are a couple of the main distinguishing characteristics of true spiders.
Our 'Harvestman' have only one body part but do have 8 legs.
Weird critters for sure!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Eight-legged l'il fellas... 8 years 1 week ago #10

  • lostminstrel
  • lostminstrel's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Founding Member
  • Posts: 909
  • Thank Yous Received 6
  • Points: 71
J.Scott wrote:
I wasn't disputing the OP's entomological knowledge. :)
Eight legs and 2 separate body components are a couple of the main distinguishing characteristics of true spiders.
Our Harvestman insects have only one body part but do have 8 legs.
Weird critters for sure!

My "entomological knowledge" consists of what I've read in The Lord of the Rings. :lol:

J.Scott, I know the "Harvestman" critters you are referring to, and we have 'em around here, too. We call them "daddy longlegs". :wth: :lol:
The democratization of information will leave us all misinformed, equally.

Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened. - Dr. Seuss
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Eight-legged l'il fellas... 8 years 1 week ago #11

  • J.Scott
  • J.Scott's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Founding Member
  • Posts: 1799
  • Thank Yous Received 39
  • Points: 2298
  • Honor Medal
Oh, and I apologize for failing to say that they are great pics!
They're creepin' me out so they must be good. :D
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Eight-legged l'il fellas... 8 years 1 week ago #12

  • mikeSF
  • mikeSF's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Founding Member
  • Posts: 1854
  • Thank Yous Received 49
  • Points: 1643
  • Honor Medal
wow, these are great captures!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Eight-legged l'il fellas... 8 years 1 week ago #13

  • lostminstrel
  • lostminstrel's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Founding Member
  • Posts: 909
  • Thank Yous Received 6
  • Points: 71
J.Scott wrote:
Oh, and I apologize for failing to say that they are great pics!
They're creepin' me out so they must be good. :D
mikeSF wrote:
wow, these are great captures!

Thanks, I have a gazillion spider shots. :lol: :blush: :bleh: I find them fascinating, until I start getting creeped out. :meh:
The democratization of information will leave us all misinformed, equally.

Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened. - Dr. Seuss
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Eight-legged l'il fellas... 8 years 1 week ago #14

  • tiffpix
  • tiffpix's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Founding Member
  • Posts: 1564
  • Thank Yous Received 33
  • Points: 853
Nice pics lostminstrel. I admit to being freaked out by spiders in general, but photography has helped me look at them a bit differently and lowered the freak-out response significantly.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Time to create page: 0.259 seconds