Welcome, Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: We Visit San Francisco

We Visit San Francisco 4 years 2 weeks ago #16

• Pablo
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 23
  • Honor Medal
Beautiful photos Jeff, especially the Japanese gardens, please keep going.
I had a great time myself visiting San Francisco last year yet I only got to spend about 1.5 days in the area, so you are now mostly showing what I missed. I would definitely love to go back.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

We Visit San Francisco 4 years 2 weeks ago #17

• blackcloudbrew
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 86
  • Honor Medal
Lovin' the shots of Lombard Street (I should have given you a ride down it as I did for Pablo and Efrat). The Tea Garden...that arched bridge was for me, growing up (ok as a real little kid), a big deal and I used to struggle to climb it. Great orchid shots too. Wonderful images.

We Visit San Francisco 4 years 2 weeks ago #18

• J.Scott
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 39
  • Honor Medal
Thanks for the kudos gents! :D

Definitely more to come!

We Visit San Francisco 4 years 1 week ago #19

• tiffpix
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 33
Wow... fantastic photos Jeff, and Tim as well. Thank you for the descriptions of each area as well Jeff, it really makes it easier to live vicariously through your photos.

So far the Tea Garden photos are my favourites, and interested info on the Voodoo Lily! I've heard of the Corpse Flower, same concept I believe, but not that lily.

We Visit San Francisco 4 years 1 week ago #20

• blackcloudbrew
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 86
  • Honor Medal
The Japanese Tea Garden in Golden Gate Park is a wonderful place that I've enjoyed since I was a very little kid. I've been in a few others in other places but the SF one is my favorite. I've returned again and again over the years but it's always good.

We Visit San Francisco 4 years 1 week ago #21

• J.Scott
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 39
  • Honor Medal
Thanks Tiffany. As Tim says, the Japanese Gardens are very special. Just entering the gates one can sense the calmness. There is an order to the structures and gardens. Hardly a leaf is out of place. We really enjoyed the time we spent there and lingered a bit longer than we had originally planned. Lunch was good too!

We Visit San Francisco 4 years 1 week ago #22

• J.Scott
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 39
  • Honor Medal
More pictures!

I'll apologize for my tardiness in posting more images but my excuse is that I have recently started back to work and am having a bit of a time getting used to the torrid pace of the work-a-day world. :p

Here's some from the day that we spent with Tim (Blackcloudbrew).

Golden Gate Bridge from the other side - looking at downtown San Francisco.
It was pretty hazy, even with a CPL filter. (Cheap filter I bought in China Town on Monday)

I think Lynda's shot was a lot better. She used a Pentax W90.
She captured Tim and I wandering around looking for the 'perfect' spot to take a shot.

Tim then zipped us up to the top of Mount Tamalpais to get a birds-eye view of the Bay area.

The hills were ablaze with a carpet of golden California Poppies. Tim mentioned that he hadn't seen it like this in many years. They are gorgeous little, wild, short-stemmed beauties.

On the way to Point Reyes Tim had to show us the second most photographed item in the area; next, of course, to the Golden Gate Bridge. A beached wooden tug that is very photogenic as it slowly rots on the sandbar.

And this piece of artwork was hanging near the trail to the tug. I'll leave it up to your imagination as to what it might be.

A short hike up a sloping trail lead us to the Point Reyes lighthouse.
Steep lush green hills dip down to a pristine white sand beach that disappears into the distant horizon with foamy crashing surf; I was mesmerized by the iconic and idyllic vista. It was purely a bonus that a family of deer were munching on the shrubbery in the foreground.

More pretty flowers were scattered on the paths edge.

Thankfully the gate was locked to the 4257 steps that lead down to the lighthouse at the bottom of the cliff.

Back inland we stopped at the infamous San Andreas Fault.
The two fence lines indicate how much the earth is moving along the fault line.

The walk through the Armstrong Redwoods State Natural Reserve left me with a sore neck from gawking skyward at the lofty tops of these giant trees. It is, of course, hard to get a true perspective of their height using a 2 dimensional image, but I tried. Take my word for it, they are really freakin' tall!

Me and the Missus and the Colonel Armstrong.

Tim and I pose with the Colonel

Photographically we wound up our day with a nighttime shoot of the Golden Gate Bridge.
I borrowed Tim's tripod and corded remote or even this amateur attempt would not have been possible.

Last Edit: 4 years 1 week ago by J.Scott.

We Visit San Francisco 4 years 1 week ago #23

• blackcloudbrew
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 86
  • Honor Medal
Presumably you are happy to back at work! No problem on your posting speed. A trip like that generates a lot of images and it takes a while to work through them. Heck, I just did a two night trip up the coast last weekend and I'm still working the images up. So, post 'em when you can I say.

I have to say that some of these latest shots are quite familiar to me...Nice! Keep 'em coming.

We Visit San Francisco 4 years 1 week ago #24

• tiffpix
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 33
I recognize that boat!

Excellent photos. And nice to "see" you and Lynda. Please tell Lynda I still love those shoes!

Hopefully getting back to work isn't too arduous, can't be as bad as getting up at 3am in -40C!! Or -40F... :pinch:

Getting your photos in separate parts lets us enjoy each batch individually, thereby giving your images more of our attention. :cool:
The following user(s) said Thank You: J.Scott

We Visit San Francisco 4 years 1 week ago #25

• J.Scott
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 39
  • Honor Medal
Thanks for the kind remarks from both of you. :love:

Like Tim said, that old wooden tug has been photographed almost as much as the Golden Gate Bridge.

Lynda says, "Hi" back! She actually never wore those shoes until this trip. Imagine buying a pair of shoes and leaving them in the closet for almost a year! I can't. It would be great to actually see you guys in person. This summer for sure! I'm only working the first 2 1/2 weeks this summer so I will have some time off. Yes, this weather is much more agreeable than -30! I can't work in that crap anymore. I really needed a break and now that it's over it's okay to be back at work. I don't miss the bratty kids but rather my co-workers. They're a lot of fun, and that makes the day go quicker.

BTW - Happy Mother's Day to you Tiffany! Your first of many! I trust Sophia got you something nice. ;)

We Visit San Francisco 4 years 1 week ago #26

• Friendly Photon
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 56
  • Honor Medal
Oh wow, Colonel Armstrong sure would make a lot of firewood! Or a nice, cozy cabin for yours truly :D

I forgot all about those super funky shoes Lynda got at the Burlington mall... they're even more colorful than I remember.

This is a great way to vicariously experience San Francisco, excellent job!

J.Scott wrote:
BTW - Happy Mother's Day to you Tiffany! Your first of many! I trust Sophia got you something nice. ;)
erm... no, "Sophia" forgot 0:) :( apparently she's too busy preparing for Father's Day :w00t:
Photons are your friends! :-)
Last Edit: 4 years 1 week ago by Friendly Photon.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.280 seconds