TOPIC: Bella Pictures has been sold

Bella Pictures has been sold 7 years 10 months ago #16

• blackcloudbrew
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 86
  • Honor Medal
I suppose this trite but yet still valid truism still applies:

- In life, you get what you pay for.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Bella Pictures has been sold 7 years 10 months ago #17

• lostminstrel
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 6
The democratization of information will leave us all misinformed, equally.

Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened. - Dr. Seuss

Bella Pictures has been sold 7 years 10 months ago #18

• mikeSF
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 49
  • Honor Medal
Fortunately for modern couples, we now live in an age of the ever powerful online review. This helps to takes some of the guesswork out of selecting wedding vendors based on phone book listing alone ("hmm, honey should we go with AAA Photography or AAAA Photography?"). It is great to Google a business listing and be able to find an array of customer experiences before ever making that phone call or email inquiry.

Unfortunately, in my case, photographs were not super important to me and my bride to be when we were planning a wedding while still in college and unemployed. We used a "school pictures"-type friend of ours and only paid for the film and developing. He did a good job considering what we paid him (nothing). Do our photos look anything like Rosemary's stunning art pieces? Not hardly. But does the lack of high quality photographs diminish the memory of that special day? Not one bit.

Back to online reviews, I use a free application on my Droid phone that lets me locate business near my current position (GPS) and then shows an array of reviews as well as navigation instructions. I am out driving most days and this sure comes in handy. I also use it to prospect for new clients simply by entering the type of business, "Cancer Center" or "Urologist" for example, and it shows where all the potential customers are in my vicinity. Heck, back in the day I used to cold call a new town by going to a phone booth (remember those?) and tearing out all the Physicians pages from the yellowpages, then buying a $1.99 map of the town at the gas station. I feel old. :p

Bella Pictures has been sold 7 years 10 months ago #19

• graphicgr8s
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhalmKt1 ... e=youtu.be

Take a look at this.

And Mike I did the same thing back in the day. My territory was the state of Florida. Selling marking devices.
Here's to our wives and sweethearts. May they never meet.
Recedite, plebes! Gero rem imperialem.

Bella Pictures has been sold 7 years 10 months ago #20

• mikeSF
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 49
  • Honor Medal
lostminstrel wrote:

A must-watch. :)

yikes, the judge took her down hard. Good video. Just thinking about the ruling w/addl damages added, this photographer REALLY should have settled out of court because I am sure her future reputation has suffered far more than the $1300 in question. Would anyone ever hire this company after seeing this?
And now she'll NEVER be able to afford that upgrade to her kit lens. :p

Bella Pictures has been sold 7 years 10 months ago #21

• mikeSF
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 49
  • Honor Medal

Bella Pictures has been sold 7 years 10 months ago #22

• blackcloudbrew
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 86
  • Honor Medal
Mike, that was unfreakin' believable.

Bella Pictures has been sold 7 years 10 months ago #23

• mikeSF
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 49
  • Honor Medal
blackcloudbrew wrote:
Mike, that was unfreakin' believable.

...and the musician in me is amazed at how much mileage that guitarist gets out of his droning open G...truly masterful. :)

Bella Pictures has been sold 7 years 10 months ago #24

• mikeSF
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 49
  • Honor Medal

Bella Pictures has been sold 7 years 10 months ago #25

• rmtagg
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 10
Yikes, some of those videos are scary! And there is no shortage of them on youtube

Bella Pictures has been sold 7 years 10 months ago #26

• DamnRedneck
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 22
Maybe I'm a dinosaur but whatever happened to the bride interviewing the photographer at his/her studio and looking at a hard copy portfolio?
My first wedding was easy, our photog was a friend who I used to shoot backup/second cam for and he still charged me $800 for the package back in the days of film and MF but it was pretty close to perfect.Second time around was a redneck thing , we did an outdoor wedding /pig roast and just had fun. When my daughter gets married if I'm still alive any photog who says I'll email you some samples will immediately be disqualified.
The last wedding I went to the B&G found their photog online. She showed up dressed rather slovenly with 2 DSLRs around her neck and spent more time looking at the back of her cameras than she did shooting. That couple has as many of my candids in their album as they do the $1,700 pro pics. Sorry but I have no sympathy for couples who don't go to see what they are paying for in real life before signing the contract.Show me the sample albums!

Bella Pictures has been sold 7 years 10 months ago #27

• rmtagg
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 10
DamnRedneck wrote:
Maybe I'm a dinosaur but whatever happened to the bride interviewing the photographer at his/her studio and looking at a hard copy portfolio?
My first wedding was easy, our photog was a friend who I used to shoot backup/second cam for and he still charged me $800 for the package but it was pretty close to perfect.Second time around was a redneck thing , we did an outdoor wedding /pig roast and just had fun. When my daughter gets married if I'm still alive any photog who says I'll email you some samples will immediately be disqualified.
The last wedding I went to the B&G found their photog online. She showed up dressed rather slovenly with 2 DSLRs around her neck and spent more time looking at the back of her cameras than she did shooting. That couple has as many of my candids in their album as they do the $1,700 pro pics. Sorry but I have no sympathy for couples who don't go to see what they are paying for in real life before signing the contract.Show me the sample albums!
Ahhhhhh, see Bella I believe was in New England and would hire freelance photographers. The bride would deal with Corp. and most often not even meet the photographer until the day of her wedding. So while you might see wonderful images on their web site, you weren't getting the photographer who took them.

Bella Pictures has been sold 7 years 10 months ago #28

• DamnRedneck
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 22
rmtagg wrote:
Ahhhhhh, see Bella I believe was in New England and would hire freelance photographers. The bride would deal with Corp. and most often not even meet the photographer until the day of her wedding. So while you might see wonderful images on their web site, you weren't getting the photographer who took them.
My point exactly! All real pros who shoot weddings should make this their #2 selling point. #1 should be a portfolio.

Bella Pictures has been sold 7 years 10 months ago #29

• Friendly Photon
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 56
  • Honor Medal
J.Scott wrote:
Actually I think this recent craze to photograph weddings with Hollywood studio perfection is greatly over rated.
Good luck convincing some of today's brides-to-be of that fact. Or worse, the brides-to-be's mothers. Some of those are beyond scary.
DamnRedneck wrote:
My point exactly! All real pros who shoot weddings should make this their #2 selling point. #1 should be a portfolio.
A photographer with a hard copy portfolio?!? Surely you jest. These are the days of the Interweb and online ordering. A potential wedding photographer can just order the latest (or not-so-latest) Canon Rebel from eBay, stick a cheap lens on it, and post someone else's pictures in an online portfolio to get their business started with a bang!

You don't even need to be breaking any laws:
http://www.istockphoto.com/search/text/ ... rce/basic/
Photons are your friends! :-)

Bella Pictures has been sold 7 years 10 months ago #30

• rmtagg
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 10
Friendly Photon wrote:
Good luck convincing some of today's brides-to-be of that fact. Or worse, the brides-to-be's mothers. Some of those are beyond scary.

A photographer with a hard copy portfolio?!? Surely you jest. These are the days of the Interweb and online ordering. A potential wedding photographer can just order the latest (or not-so-latest) Canon Rebel from eBay, stick a cheap lens on it, and post someone else's pictures in an online portfolio to get their business started with a bang!

You don't even need to be breaking any laws:
http://www.istockphoto.com/search/text/ ... rce/basic/
I want to laugh but this is so sad, because it is true. I have albums I show brides & grooms and I don't do many weddings at all.
Time to create page: 0.256 seconds