Welcome, Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Newborn Babies

Newborn Babies 3 years 11 months ago #16

• blackcloudbrew
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 86
  • Honor Medal
Now I know a new..."you might be a red neck..." phrase.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Newborn Babies 3 years 11 months ago #17

• J.Scott
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 39
  • Honor Medal
Babies are great!

Here's a snippet of a conversation between my wife and I in bed one morning.

She;"Oh my god, I swear that child is going to drive me mad. He cried all night, and for nothing! I just think he wants attention or something, I just don't know. I haven't slept a wink. I'm so exhausted!"

Me;"What's that? Just a second. (Pop, pop! I pull out out my ear plugs.) Sorry, what were you saying?"

After I regained consciousness I exclaimed in my defence that one of us had to go to work in the morning. I needed a good nights sleep.
She didn't buy it.
Best of luck!
Last Edit: 3 years 11 months ago by J.Scott.

Newborn Babies 3 years 11 months ago #18

• Friendly Photon
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 56
  • Honor Medal
I can second the "pay attention to her every day" sentiment. Sophia is only 9 months old, yet she's evolved so much over that time, it's hard to remember the helpless little baby that could barely move her own limbs.

We've been trying to take at least one quality picture of her every day, and we've got tons of silly videos taken with our phones. So far, the "picture-a-day" thing has been mostly a success, we've only missed a small handful of days over these 9 months. It's amazing to go through all those photos and see the evolution happen gradually.

Also, we don't leave these photos in digital format hidden in the cloud where they could vanish forever. We've had many of them printed into photo albums through AdoramaPix. Whenever they're having a sale on 8x8 or 10x10 books, we take advantage of it by having a new album printed, either for ourselves or for other family members. Don't let your photos rot in digital hell! Get hard copies!!!
Photons are your friends! :-)

Newborn Babies 3 years 11 months ago #19

• tiffpix
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 33
Huge (and belated) congratulations on the birth of your beautiful daughter! I hope you're all still doing well and she's growing and gaining weight. Be sure to spoil your lovely wife, that labour sounded grueling... And if she's nursing, I hope things are going well. It does get better, Altamira will get used to eating faster and what used to take an hour is now about 10-20 minutes. If your wife ever wants to chat with a fairly new mother, PM me any time!

Newborn Babies 3 years 6 months ago #20

• Leighgion
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 29
  • Honor Medal
Very belated, thanks, Tiffany and everybody.

I'm sorry I've not updated in so long, but well.. thread title says it all. Baby. And job.

Altamira is doing very well. She's just turned five months old and is a very friendly, expressive baby. Her mother is exhausted and sleep deprived, but very happy.

I have, alas, not kept up on photography as well as I had hoped to. While I don't feel like I'm lacking photos of my daughter, I'm getting new ones more like every week rather than every day. By the time I have any leisure, it's generally gotten dark and I'm tired, so I'd rather spend the time and energy interacting rather than pawing out a camera.

I didn't manage to even try any shots on film until about three months in, and I didn't finish the roll yet.

My wife, with her iPhone, is actually the one that's been regular about snapping shots and shooting short vids. Not high grade from the technical standpoint, but she's doing what's possible and it fills in the gaps.

All that said, I've gotten shots I'm pretty happy with and I'm feeling vindicated in the money and effort I sank into my hardware while I was a single man. People always talk about full frame and fast lenses being tools for sports photographers and photojournalists, but they also come in very handy for mercurial babies in poor light.

Newborn Babies 3 years 6 months ago #21

• Friendly Photon
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 56
  • Honor Medal
You don't have to tell _me_ how busy it gets to be a new dad... :D

Newborn Babies 3 years 4 months ago #22

• Leighgion
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 29
  • Honor Medal
My daughter is seven months old now.

I have a full-frame Nikon with fast lenses, a Micro 4/3 Olympus with fast lenses and film cameras, with.. you guess it, fast lenses. I'm a hobbyist, not a pro, but I can fairly say I've got years of experience chasing action in poor light with my lens and have been happy with what I can accomplish.

It's still a serious challenge to photograph my kid.

How on Earth do normal (non-camera nerd) parents do this and still have photos of their children growing up?

Have I just blanked out how crappy the majority of family photo albums are?

Newborn Babies 3 years 4 months ago #23

• blackcloudbrew
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 86
  • Honor Medal
Leighgion wrote:
Have I just blanked out how crappy the majority of family photo albums are?

No, you haven't. People are hard, family photos are just snaps. Do enough of them and you get dumber. Just use your cell phone cam for family stuff. :~(

Newborn Babies 3 years 4 months ago #24

• DamnRedneck
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 22
Leigh , when you look at those pics in 20 years the technical aspects will be the last thing you see.

Newborn Babies 3 years 4 months ago #25

• blackcloudbrew
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 86
  • Honor Medal
Spot on DRN, spot on.

Newborn Babies 3 years 4 months ago #26

• Friendly Photon
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 56
  • Honor Medal
We have a photo album called "Sophia Daily". In it, we try to have at least one DSLR photo of our daughter for every day of her life. So far after almost 17 months, we've only missed a handful of days (like less than 10).

This is a recurring theme in our house:

- tiffpix: (sometime just before Sophia's bedtime) did you take a photo today?

- me: oh crap! I forgot! (rushes to grab camera)

Looking back on this photo album (which I do frequently), there's some missed focus, some poor composition, some repetition... and there's some absolute gems and perfect moments captured. Some of these photos will stay vividly in my memory forever. And they're ALL a ton of fun to look back on, even the ones with huge technical flaws. They all bring back a ton of memories.

For my wife's birthday last year, I selected some of our favorites from this album and had aluminum prints made from them, 14 of them in all. We keep some here on our "Wall Of Sophia", and my wife keeps a few in her office at work. Sometimes they swap locations. They all elicit hugely positive responses from everyone who sees them.

I don't try to get a picture of everything our daughter does. That would just turn me photographically stupid. I just try to notice a single photo-worthy moment every day and take a picture of it. Important days (like her birthday) get a bunch of photos. It all adds up, over 700 photos so far (that I bothered to process). If I forget during the day, I settle for a bath picture at the last possible moment of the day. And ironically, some of those have turned out to be the best ones of the bunch.

DO take pictures of your daughter, even technically bad pictures. It's good for everyone, but especially for your daughter.

DO print some of them and display them. It's been proven to boost a child's self-esteem when they see photos of themselves displayed prominently in the house.

And as she gets older, you'll be able to try more creative photos with her. It's easy to feel like you've gotten in a lazy rut with baby photos. But remember, this isn't the new normal. It's just the way things are this month. Next month it'll change again.
Last Edit: 3 years 4 months ago by Friendly Photon.

Newborn Babies 3 years 4 months ago #27

• blackcloudbrew
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 86
  • Honor Medal
Brilliant idea, I'm about 37 years to late on my 3 children and 4 grandchildren. [sound of hand hitting forehead] Brilliant.

Newborn Babies 3 years 4 months ago #28

• Leighgion
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 29
  • Honor Medal
Thanks for all your input, parents and grandparents.

I didn't mean to say the challenge was getting technically excellent photos. It's a challenge just getting technically passable photos. I'm a firm believer in getting the shot being the most important thing, but that you want to reach certain minimum technical levels in order that the quality isn't distracting.

I haven't been as constant as Frank & Tiff about photographing my little one, but I have no complaints about the shots I have, which are mix from the dedicated cameras and our iPhone 4S's, which is exclusively what my wife uses. We have made small prints from iPhone shots that look great. But the phone's got limits. I can't help but wonder about modern families that depend almost exclusively on their phones.

Newborn Babies 3 years 4 months ago #29

• Friendly Photon
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 56
  • Honor Medal
I forget who to attribute this quote to:

"In 50 years, the most photographed generation will have nothing to show for it but vague memories"

Print, print, print!!!

Newborn Babies 3 years 4 months ago #30

• Leighgion
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 29
  • Honor Medal
I vaguely recall that quote. Also can't remember who said it.

I'm under constant pressure to print from my mother-in-law and wife. We have gotten to it, but need to do more.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.297 seconds