Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: The Wedding Photographer's Bag

The Wedding Photographer's Bag 8 years 3 months ago #1

I'm kind of interested in wedding photography and portrait photography, not as a permanent job, but more as a back burner hobby. I would like to know what is in the bag. I tried to google and find pictures, but got nothing. Did find an interesting YouTube of a paparazzi bag, of which I had to giggle about the 2 pepper sprays that he kept in there. If you are a wedding photographer and don't mind sharing, could you tell us what you use and/or show pics? Thanks!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

The Wedding Photographer's Bag 8 years 3 months ago #2

• Damn Brit
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 1
I've taken pictures at quite a few weddings but not as the official photographer and I've used something like a 24-60 f/2.8, and an 18-250 type zoom. Note, I've been luck that they were mostly outside so lighting wasn't an issue.
As an official wedding photographer, I would expect to use, at a minimum, the 24-60, a prime in the 85mm range (maybe a fast 50mm too) and probably 100mm range macro (for ring shots and longer portraits). I would also want two flashes with diffusers, and a back-up body.

I would say that the best thing to do would be to take pictures at a wedding to see how you do, and talk to the official photographer (if you get a chance). You never know, you might get an offer to assist on a shoot and you'd really get to see whether it was for you.

There's a lot of people out there doing it as a hobby/extra income thing and undoubtedly there are some good ones. There are inevitably a lot of bad ones though who think all they need is a DSLR and to get some business cards printed (I've met quite a few of them). Having said that, I've come across quite a few 'professional wedding photographers' who I wouldn't let take pictures at my worst enemy's wedding.
If it is something you're considering, look into it seriously, don't look into it as a hobby, a wedding is supposed to be the happiest day of two people's lives, the pictures ought to live up to that. :)

One final thought, if you do get into it, it's the mother in laws that are the most particular, so whatever you do, make them look good in the pictures. :D

The Wedding Photographer's Bag 8 years 3 months ago #3

• Leighgion
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 29
  • Honor Medal
Damn Brit wrote:
There's a lot of people out there doing it as a hobby/extra income thing and undoubtedly there are some good ones. There are inevitably a lot of bad ones though who think all they need is a DSLR and to get some business cards printed (I've met quite a few of them). Having said that, I've come across quite a few 'professional wedding photographers' who I wouldn't let take pictures at my worst enemy's wedding.

I'm quite sure I'm better than many, but the very fact that those people exist repels me from every trying a wedding. In no way do I wish to be even vaguely in the same category as them. :)

The Wedding Photographer's Bag 8 years 3 months ago #4

• Friendly Photon
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 56
  • Honor Medal
Damn Brit wrote:
I've come across quite a few 'professional wedding photographers' who I wouldn't let take pictures at my worst enemy's wedding.
Clearly there isn't enough hate within you. I would gladly subject my worst enemy to one of these "pretend" wedding photographers.
Photons are your friends! :-)

Re: The Wedding Photographer's Bag 8 years 3 months ago #5

• Leighgion
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 29
  • Honor Medal
You haven't known true hatred until you're prepared to ruin the memories of your enemy's nuptials with a crappy photographer!
Time to create page: 0.260 seconds