Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: My Photography Bag

My Photography Bag 8 years 4 months ago #1

• Friendly Photon
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 56
  • Honor Medal
Wildnsyko started a topic regarding wedding photography gear, and that got me wondering what you guys' (and gals') regular camera bag looks like. We all have different needs and ideas for hauling our camera gear, so I thought it would be interesting to see everyone's setup and find out how well it works for your particular needs.

To get the ball started, here's a description of my photography bag.

It all starts with this giant mess:

all-my-gear.jpg

That's where it all begins. I don't always carry all of that, it weighs a fair amount and isn't suitable for some outings. But my selection always comes from this set. The heart of it is the Lowepro Primus AW backpack. Most photographers seem to prefer a shoulder bag, but since I frequently bring my gear on biking excursions, a backpack is more appropriate. This particular one is sweet because it's blue like my bike :lol: It's incredibly comfortable, even for day-long treks, and it can carry tons of stuff besides the camera gear.

Those two lens cases on the left of the picture easily attach to places on the straps of the backpack, so lenses are within easy reach.

The neck strap (bottom of picture) is detachable, I've had too many close calls with tangled neck straps before, so unless the camera is actually around my neck, the strap stays off.

The stabilizer strap (behind lens cases, left side of picture) weighs nothing, uses no space, and is incredibly convenient. That always travels with me.

The battery grip (right side of picture) is almost always attached to the camera, and almost always has AA lithium batteries in it.

I try to have multiple memory cards (bottom left of picture) in the bag all the time, too often I took the camera out of the bag only to realize I'd forgotten the memory card in my computer's card reader.

The cleaning equipment (rocket blower, lens pen, lens cloth, middle of picture) has come in handy many times in the field. It weighs very little and can be a lifesaver at times. I always have that with me.

The tripod extends to my eye level, weighs surprisingly little, and is relatively stable for its size. I hate the ball head it comes with, but the light weight makes up for that. I have it with me about 50% of the time lately, it attaches easily to the backpack.

Beneath the tripod is a Ziplock™ bag. This is handy when I'm far from civilization and it starts pouring rain, I can put things like my wallet in there. The backpack already has a built-in rain cover I can pull over it to keep it weatherproof (hence the "AW" in Primus AW)

I've developed an uncanny ability to always select the wrong lenses for every outing. This trend has yet to be resolved. I rarely ever have all lenses with me, especially when I'm biking. It just adds too much weight. The situation has gotten worse since I borrowed the fish eye lens from J.Scott (not pictured here).

Oops, I forgot about the remotes in a side pocket; IR (quick and easy), RF (bright sun or from far away) and cable (for locking the shutter release). All purchased dirt cheap online.

all-my-remotes.jpg

So here's what it all looks like when it's put together:

gear-assembled.jpg

This backpack has a convenient side panel that gives access to the camera, so I can pull it out without having to bring the bag around to the front. It also has a comfortable waist strap, which is where I keep the lens cases attached when I bring them with me. It's almost like having a Bat-Utility Belt™, but much dorkier :lol: I can also attach two more lens cases to the shoulder straps, if I want to complete the dorkmeister look.

I've added Op/Tech buckles to the D-rings on the shoulder straps so I can attach the camera there instead of hanging it around my neck:

optech-buckles.jpg

This is a HUGE benefit for my neck, the camera causes no strain at all when it's hanging from the straps. In fact, having the camera there helps balance the weight of the backpack and makes carrying my gear easier. The neck strap is also from Op/Tech, so the buckles are all compatible. I can switch the camera from neck strap to shoulder straps in a matter of seconds.

So that's my camera setup. I'm considering trying to find a smaller/lighter bag for shorter excursions where I need very little gear, but so far, this has served me well.

dressed-for-action.jpg

Note: all above pictures were taken with a Canon S3 IS, perhaps one of the WORST indoor cameras ever made.
Photons are your friends! :-)
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: My Photography Bag 8 years 4 months ago #2

• Leighgion
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 29
  • Honor Medal
Hoboy.

I got so much stuff, I couldn't possibly undertake listing it, and I have a few camera bags that I trade off and stock according to need, including Lowepro Nova 5, Slingshot 200 and Fastpack 250. Most days though, I don't carry any of them as I consider them too burdensome for daily use. I greatly value my mobility.

My daily "camera bag" is at this time a small Mountain Equipment Corp sling bag which was never meant for cameras. In addition to assorted other stuff, I can usually jam one medium to large-ish camera with a small lens into it. Usually it's one of these:

Canon QL17
Nikon D40
Nikon D300 (just can make it)
Nikon FE/2 (I got one of each)
Fuji GA645

The sling has a small water bottle pocket which I often repurpose to fit either my Black Slim Devil (Vivitar Ultra Wide & Slim clone) or Olympus XA. Not the best protection, but so far, so good.

If there's space left in the bag, sometimes my little Metz C2 flash tags along. One day, I'll even remember to use it.

At pretty much all times, my Panasonic LX3 rides along in a Grab-It Pack hip holster.

If I'm feeling like pushing things a bit but not actually busting out one of the real camera bags, I'll do all of the above, but also sling a camera on my shoulder, or sling the camera on my shoulder instead of putting in my bag and use the bag's space for an extra lens or two.

Re: My Photography Bag 8 years 4 months ago #3

• Friendly Photon
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 56
  • Honor Medal
That's interesting, I'm still trying to work out some light-duty setup, and it looks like you've solved it. My #1 concern is padding. Camera bags tend to have plenty of padding. Considering how often I've fallen off my bike, that padding is important. But when I'm not in need of all that padding, it sure would be nice to walk around unburdened (and no, that doesn't mean "without underwear" >:) ) )

Re: My Photography Bag 8 years 4 months ago #4

• Damn Brit
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 1
Those last two pictures remind me of this. :lol:
[url:21opauwz][/url]

Re: My Photography Bag 8 years 4 months ago #5

• Friendly Photon
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 56
  • Honor Medal
Damn Brit wrote:
Those last two pictures remind me of this. :lol:
[url:xdorus40][/url]

I've put on a little weight since that video was shot :p But I'm still too sexy for you!

(wow, that brings back memories of a bygone era)

Re: My Photography Bag 8 years 4 months ago #6

• Damn Brit
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 1
Friendly Photon wrote:
(wow, that brings back memories of a bygone era)

The remix was awesome, it got played a lot when I was DJing.

Re: My Photography Bag 8 years 4 months ago #7

• Leighgion
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 29
  • Honor Medal
Friendly Photon wrote:
That's interesting, I'm still trying to work out some light-duty setup, and it looks like you've solved it. My #1 concern is padding. Camera bags tend to have plenty of padding. Considering how often I've fallen off my bike, that padding is important. But when I'm not in need of all that padding, it sure would be nice to walk around unburdened (and no, that doesn't mean "without underwear" >:) ) )

"Solved" may be too strong a term, but I have found a setup I'm willing to use for now.

Padding is a concern, and my gear has been smacked around a bit due to the lack of it, but unfortunately there just doesn't seem to exist a more padded bag that suits my specifications for daily carry. Non-camera bags have little to no padding, while camera bags go all out and thus end up too large and unwieldy for casual toting.

My rough requirements for daily carry is that I should be able to have the bag with me at any occasion less formal than a fancy dress party/meal and not feel like I'm bearing a burden or sticking out.

Re: My Photography Bag 8 years 4 months ago #8

• mikeSF
  • Founding Member
  • Thank Yous Received 49
  • Honor Medal
friendly photon,
this is very informative. thanks for showing us your rig. :)
looks like all i am missing is well...all of that stuff. :p

Re: My Photography Bag 8 years 4 months ago #9

I have the Lowepro 200 backpack, but seldom use it anymore because I can't get too much in there since I got the battery pack. Everything is too squished now. If I take that and one other lens, then it works. But for like the wedding I did, I have a cheap bag that I was able to put everything I needed in it but not able to close it. I guess I need to do some research on new bags...
Time to create page: 0.284 seconds